Brazil: Prosecution action against Bolsonaro for questioning electoral system
According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, Paulo Gustavo Gonet Branco, electoral deputy attorney general, signed an appeal.
MORE IN THIS SECTION
The measure has to do with the President's statements to "discredit the legitimacy of the digital voting system".
The official asked to withdraw the videos that reproduce these comments.
"The invectives against the reliability of electronic voting machines by the illustrious represented are not unprecedented, as is well known. This time, they are launched in the period close to the elections, conveying notions that have already been proven false," said the deputy attorney general, in the motion.
"The attempt to instill fear in the voters about the effective respect of their will, by attributing, directly or subliminally, machinations or negligence to those who conduct the elections, does not find foundation duly demonstrated," he added.
In the document he warns that such speeches instill in listeners an "erroneous perception of reality", an issue that must be considered before the upcoming elections in the country. "There is no need to emphasize the seriousness of this for an electoral process," said Gonet Branco.
For the meeting of the president of Brazil with ambassadors last month, it is not the first time he makes criticism of the fairness of the voting system.
On the other hand, Youtube also removed the video of Bolsonaro's meeting with ambassadors because it had violated the platform's policies.
This Wednesday, President Bolsonaro made official registration of his candidacy for re-election in Brazil along with Walter Souza Braga Netto, former Minister of Defense and who aspires to the vice presidency.
Bolsonaro in the application to the highest electoral authority declared to have 2,317,555 reais in assets, shares and savings (US$ 458,768).