The Colgate Women's Games return and will double the value of its scholarships
After a hiatus forced by COVID-19, the U.S.'s oldest girls' and women's track series is back.
MORE IN THIS SECTION
The Colgate Women's Games are back in 2023 — the nation's oldest track and field series geared toward awarding women in sport with more educational opportunities.
Beyond introducing ShopRite as its new sponsor and doubling the scholarship amounts for this year's competition, Colgate-Palmolive also emphasized that the games are free to participate and attend.
Paula S. Davis, chief communications officer of Colgate-Palmolive, stated:
The Colgate Women’s Games brings our company purpose to life in an incredibly uplifting and powerful way, promoting health and wellness, celebrating teamwork and supporting brighter futures.
You should know: The Colgate Women's Games
Created in 1974 by legendary Brooklyn track trainer Fred Thompson, and supported since its inception by Colgate-Palmolive, this women's track and field competition is noted for:
- Attracting thousands of female competitors, from elementary school to college, and beyond
- Promoting the transformative power of athletics, mentoring and education
- Athletes can win one of more than 100 educational scholarships awarded every year, worth $2,000, $1,000, and $500 based on where they finish.
In total, the games have awarded more than 5,000 scholarships throughout its history.
“We are especially excited this year as we increase the scholarship awards, expand our outreach with our supporters at ShopRite and involve Colgate people in all aspects of this amazing competition. We are looking forward to our best season yet!” added Davis.
The competition, which is recognized as an incubator for the development of athletic talent — with hundreds of athletes that have competed at the highest level in national and international championships — supports thousands of women in their pursuit of successful careers with the help of sports.
This year, the series will be held outdoors and will include two preliminary matches and a semifinal matchup that will determine who will compete for educational scholarships and trophies in the final series.
All girls first grade and up who are enrolled and attending school, and women in college and beyond, are eligible to participate in two events at each preliminary meet.
Medals and ribbons are awarded to the top finishers of each event in the preliminary matches, and trophies and medals are awarded to the semifinalists.
The key dates:
- March 25 and April 1, 2023: Registration days at Queens College, Fitzgerald Gymnasium, Queens, New York. Participants will collect their complimentary Competitor Pack, which includes the competitor's jersey and bib number (both required to compete), and a bag of Colgate-Palmolive health and hygiene products.
- April 16-23, 2023: Outdoor preliminary meets at Queens College Track Field, Queens, New York. Registration for the series closes on April 23.
- April 30, 2023: Outdoor semifinals at Queens College Track Field, Queens, New York.
- May 7, 2023: Outdoor Finals at New York City's iconic Icahn Stadium in Randall's Island Park.
“Colgate Women’s Games is more than an athletic competition; it is an expansive, deep-rooted program with a proven track record of helping girls and women achieve their dreams through athletics, mentorship and education. This massive accomplishment is possible because we recognize the discipline and hard work that training requires; we cultivate mentorship, academic success and perseverance; and we celebrate participation and achievement. Colgate Women’s Games has changed countless lives over the past 47 seasons, including my own as a participant and Director, and I’m confident it will continue to demonstrate the transformative power of Track and Field in the 48th season and for decades to come,” said Cheryl Toussaint, world-class championship medalist and director of competitions for Colgate Women's Games.